Welcome to the club!
This project aims to provide a performance-first React-centric extendable map engine.
It was originally created to reduce page load speed for the search results on Apprentus, a marketplace for private lessons.
We're currently at (this includes all components):
- Show tiles
- Arbitrary overlays (markers, etc)
- Move the map by dragging
- Move the map by touch on mobile
- Zooming with the scroll wheel
- Zooming by touch
- Fractional zooming (e.g. to level 12.2)
- Zoom without flickering (keep old tiles until new ones load)
- Smooth animated zooming
- Slide when dragging and letting go
- Event handling (clicks, etc)
- Double click and double tap zooming
- Option to block dragging with one finger and mouse wheel scrolling without holding meta key
- Enable/disable touch and mouse events as needed - you could make a 100% static server rendered react map
- Support for 100% width/height containers
- Draggable Overlays
- Zoom Controls
- Double tap and then swipe touch zooming
- Many other components